Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Gluten Free, Grain Free Apple Cinnamon Bars (GAPS, Paleo, Primal)



Since we're working on gut health lately this is a honey sweetened grain-free recipe.  It turned out great and all the kids liked it, which doesn't always happen!  I love that because it means I can use it in school lunches.  Our school doesn't have any  nut restrictions yet, if yours does you could substitute a seed butter such as sunflower.  Please let me know how it turns out if you try a substitution.  Thanks!



Apple Cinnamon Bars

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 9 x 13 pan generously, I used butter. 

Ingredients:

2 apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup almond butter
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup honey
4 tbs freshly squeezed orange juice
4 eggs
3 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2 tsp GF vanilla (optional)

Place all ingredients into food processor  and blend well.  Pour into greased pan and bake 30-35 min. 

My kids said this would be good with ice cream but I thought it was great all by itself!  They turned out moist and tender like cake and made the house smell wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. Can you use applesauce instead? And for the honey, what would be a decent low-carb sub? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it would still turn out ok if I didn't peel the apples. It's hard on my hands.

    ReplyDelete